Sunday, July 7, 2013

DIY: Ombre Phrase Painting

This week is another installment of: "Woo! Let's make stuff to hang in my new office!"  I bought another canvas and started to brainstorm.  I decided I'd go with a simple phrase that would be inspirational and work-related so I chose to paint, "Dreams don't work unless you do" (as seen on Pinterest, of course). Here's what I did.

First, I made my own letter stickers.  I cut out the letters on my mom's Cricut die cutting machine.  I used the Base Camp cartridge in 4" font for the words "Dream" and "Unless" and 3 1/2" font for the rest.


Then I used my mom's Xyron machine to get adhesive on the back.


Then, I glued the letters onto the canvas.  Some of the corners or ends were not sticking very well, but that wasn't a problem once they got weighed down with paint.

If you didn't have these two machines, you could either buy stickers to use, or buy die cut letters and use some other adhesive to apply them to the canvas.


I decided to do an ombre look, going from light at the top to dark at the bottom.  I had a dark purple and a light lavender so I mixed the two to get a medium purple shade to work with as well.


I first did just very light and broad strokes to start covering the whole thing.  Then I went back in with a finer tipped brush to get in closer to and in between the letters.  Here's what it looked like when I finished painting.


After it dried, I took the letters off, and it looked pretty good.  The edges of the letters weren't very sharp, but I liked the effect.  A few letters that did get bigger blotches needed a touch up though, as you can see below.


And here's the final product!


If you weren't going for an ombre look and wanted sharper edges on the letters, I'm sure you could do this a lot easier with spray paint, but I really liked the gradient in color and the hand-painted look.

Well, my office is coming along. Next, I need to print some new pictures for my frames and take those in as well as some other knick knacks and maybe a plant? Fun fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment