Saturday, May 4, 2013

DIY: Monogram Chevron Painting

I did a painting as a gift for someone last summer and ended up buying a two pack of canvases, because that's how they came.  I took art classes when I was younger and hadn't painted since, and it was really nice!  So I've been sitting here with another canvas since then meaning to, but not finding the inspiration or the time to do another.  But last weekend I felt crafty enough to take it on!  I decided I wanted to do chevron, because in case you hadn't noticed by my background on here...I like it a lot lately.

First, I took a ruler and a pencil and drew lines horizontally and vertically every 1 1/2 inches across the entire canvas.  Then you draw a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite, alternating to create the chevron.  This accidentally worked out really well since that was the exact width of the masking tape I used to tape off half of the chevrons to paint the first color.



I painted half of them blue and then took off the tape.  There were a couple jagged edges, but that could be fixed in painting the other half.



I painted the other half of the chevrons black. First I went through with a flat, wide brush and did the main parts (see left), then I did the edges with a very thin one (see right).


After it dried, I went over the whole thing with Palmer's Glitter Glaze to jazz it up a bit, but it was still too plain! So I headed to A.C. Moore and bought a big wood M to add to it.


I decided to paint it white, then I glued it onto the canvas using E6000 and let it set for a day.  There we go!  Here's the final product, though you can't really see the glitter in this lighting.


I think it turned out great, and I was surprised that it was so easy.  Yay for another successful DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment