Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Too Much Stuff

In my college years, I have found it much easier to purge, clean out the old, and bring in the new and useable.  That's the cool and yet odd thing about moving every few months from dorm room to dorm room to apartment to DC and back to the parents' house many times in between.  I take only what I actually want and need with me to the new smaller space that is all my own.  To me, it is a relief to move to a new place.  Everything is exactly where I want it and organized how I desire...at least for a few months.


It can be illuminating but also a headache when I go back home with all of my fancy new dorm and apartment stuff and have nowhere to put it.  I realize, "gee, if I left all these clothes and things at my parents house all year, I guess I don't really need them" and "what even is all this stuff?"  My room at home hasn't felt like mine in years.  It has been claimed by memories of childhood past filled with old clothes, CD's, toys, keepsakes, posters, decorations, and more.  This summer with my spare time, I'm taking it all on. I've gone through my closet, one of my dressers, my bookshelf, and redecorated.  I still have a lot to do, but progress is progress.  I breathe a sigh of relief each time I walk in and look at my work.

The point I'm trying to make here is that going through all of these material possessions that don't mean anything to me anymore and just take up space presents a good argument to buy and consume less.  The more you have, the more there is to get rid of later on and the less it probably means to you.  Buy what you need and use and love.  Get rid of the rest or don't get it in the first place.  It just clouds your physical space and headspace.  There's definitely something to be said for cleaning out more often, too.  I have let it pile up for way too long.  One drawer at a time, I'm getting it done, and it feels great.

If you're looking for places to donate clothes or other items in Greenville, I like to donate to the Safe Harbor resale shop out by Cherrydale.  I did a social media project for Safe Harbor in one of my classes at Clemson and from that I've become much more aware of domestic violence and what a big issue it is, especially among young women in South Carolina.  It's a bit of a drive for me, but the money from the sale of your donated items goes towards helping these women in the upstate and that is important to me.

I'm always open to ideas of how to upcycle old things, as well, which I'm sure Pinterest will be helpful with.  My next mission is to figure out what to do with my CD's, which I don't need since my music collection is now digital.  Comment if you have any ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment